Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Terrible Shooting in Munich

Hello All:

It is absolutely heartbreaking that I even have to write this. I'm sure the majority of you have seen the news yesterday that a lone 18 year-old gunman opened fire at a mall in Munich. There are currently 9 dead, including children. I wanted to reassure everybody that I am safe, my host family is safe, and we were nowhere near Munich yesterday. We live about an hour away and were not affected by any of the warnings or closures affecting the city proper.

My host family is shocked and saddened that their home state of Bavaria has been the site of now two deadly attacks in the past week-and-a-half. Nothing like this has ever happened here before, and this area has been considered peaceful and safe for as long as anybody can remember. It's especially saddening considering that terrorism (or at least the threat of it) continues to find new ways to disrupt people's lives, even if they're not the ones directly affected.

The thing to remember is that though these horrible events seem to be spiraling out of control, the fact remains that the chances of my being threatened are slim to none. Statistically speaking, I'm more threatened by riding in a car. Granted, Lisa and I will be flying in a few days, but there are many security measures in place, perhaps more than typical considering the recent events. I put my full trust in the German police and government to keep myself as well as everybody I know here in Germany safe.

I was in the process of preparing a much more fun, upbeat post, but this needed to take precedence. Hopefully I'll have that fun post up later tonight.

Until then, keep all those affected and their families in your thoughts and prayers.
Megan 


No comments:

Post a Comment