Monday, September 12, 2016

So College and Stuff...

Hi All!

I've just begun my FOURTH week of classes! Whoo! How fast the time goes... It's definitely been stressful at times, but now that I'm much better at planning ahead and figuring out how to pace myself while completing assignments, it's gotten a lot easier. Before, my problem was anti-procrastination. I'd set too-high goals for myself in getting work done, inevitably fail, then beat myself up over it.

For example, I'd plan to complete a 300 word German essay, an entire, complicated section of a lab report, a discussion response for seminar, and half of my calculus homework in one night. In high school, this would have been impossible, but here, I'm done with all of my classes at noon every day except Tuesday. These goals are possible with my schedule, but only if I work literally non-stop without distraction from around 1:00 until dinner, take an hour or so break for dinner, then work until like, 10:00pm. I was making myself miserable trying to get ahead as soon as possible instead of using the whole time (usually a week) I'm given to complete assignments.

Since then, I've learned how to take my time, which has led to making fewer mistakes, which has led to less stress, which has made me happier overall. I've also figured out office hours for my professors and TA's, which has been great for review and questions. People don't exaggerate the wonderfulness of office hours.

My method for studying at college was learned as a trial by fire. Take it from me: Don't procrastinate, but don't kill yourself trying to be an overachiever like I did. Be aware of due dates and check your email frequently! Things are a lot more fluid and subject to change in college: I've had two assignments extended and one completely cancelled in the space of two weeks. Also, office hours are a thing for a reason. USE THEM!! Your professors/TA's have to be there. Go build a relationship with them (rec letters!!) and get questions answered. 

I've also been working hard on my model! The Cleveland model show is November 6th and the Columbus show is in February, and after an 8 hour mega-painting marathon over this past weekend, I'm definitely within striking distance of finishing by November. Visible progress is slow, but there are many, many subtle fine tweaks I've been working on that will add up to a huge difference.



Once both the phoenix's head and this guy's arm/axe are both painted and attached, we'll be really crack-a-lackin. I'm super excited to keep improving it!

I've also discovered new music that I've been addicted to and listening to constantly. If you get a chance, I'm currently listening to Marianas Trench, and I highly recommend them if you like Fall Out Boy or Panic! at the Disco. Their entire album Ever After is pretty cool, but the songs Haven't Had Enough, Fallout, Desperate Measures, and Stutter are absolutely incredible. Also, the songs Sing Sing and Masterpiece Theatre III from their album Masterpiece Theatre are becoming co-favorites with the others. Thanks to Kayla in my suite for introducing me!

Speaking of music, I'm unfortunately not playing in any band here. I auditioned for the bands in the School of Music here, but between the fact that the music majors are so much more talented and the fact I didn't have any time to prepare my audition because of my exchange, I didn't make it.  I was completely okay with playing in the auditionless band, figuring that I'd be happy to play anywhere as long as I got the chance.

However, due to schedule conflicts as well as a completely different band atmosphere than what I'm used to (read: disorganized and too easy music), the University Band just didn't work out. I'm just going to have to try to keep playing on my own and prepare an audition for a different ensemble completely separate from the School of Music bands next semester. 

I've also been going to the both of the German discussion hours: Stammtisch on Monday hosted in the Languages Department and Kaffeestunde on Friday hosted in the German House. They're both fun, informal opportunities to practice speaking German with other fun people without any of the stress of trying to say something intelligent in German at 8am in class. I even met somebody tonight who I'm going to meet on Friday and go to the Kaffeestunde with! Later this week, I'm planning on meeting with my German major advisor and getting to know her as well. 

Completely random, but I just ordered a new bathrobe featuring multicolored llamas wearing glasses as well as some stickers to decorate my laptop with! Redbubble.com has a great selection.!
Next post, I'm planning on doing a dorm room tour, so stay tuned!

As always, questions are always welcome :-P
Beste Grüße,
deine Megan




No comments:

Post a Comment